Dr. Benzio suggests the following methods for navigating the sometimes difficult world of insurance and mental health coverage:
- Ask for help at the treatment facility or outpatient therapist. Many mental health addiction treatment programs employ specialists who can help with insurance concerns.
- Rely on your family doctor or referring physician. These professionals can help make the insurance process easier and more navigable.
- Check with your employer’s human resources department or benefits specialist. These representatives know your workplace policy the best and can answer questions.
- Contact your state Insurance Department through the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. For those with private insurance, these specialists may be able to help you understand your insurance policy and find out whether your company benefits follow the state mental health parity laws, which guarantee equal coverage for addiction and mental health conditions as for other health conditions.
- Be completely honest with your insurance company. Many problems stemming from addictions or mental health issues can be embarrassing. Therefore, people tend to under-report the level of addiction they or a loved one are facing, and the dangers of this addiction to their lives—particularly the legal, financial, family, medical and health dangers. It’s critical, however, to be fully honest with your insurance company, as these dangers are what will help in getting the more intensive addiction residential treatment needed.
- Lean on Lighthouse Network. Lighthouse representatives and counselors can help navigate the complex health care system and complicated insurance process, offering expertise to clients to maximize their insurance in order to obtain the best treatment option with minimal out-of-pocket cost. Lighthouse can also help those without insurance find treatment options.
Those with questions about treatment options and insurance can call the free, 24-hour Lighthouse Network Helpline at 1-844-LIFE-CHANGE (1-844-543-3242). The most effective help will incorporate God into the healing process to bring lasting healing and transformation. Lighthouse Network also provides online resources for those concerned about a family member, friend or a loved one. Visit www.lighthousenetwork.org/im-family-a-friend.