844-LifeChange (543-3242)
GET HELP. CALL OUR HELPLINE 844-LifeChange (543-3242)

Stepping Stones: Striving For Perfection Makes Me More Imperfect

Stepping Stones: Striving For Perfection Makes Me More Imperfect
October 16, 2010 Lighthouse Network

Transformational Thought

Writing these devotionals is so enjoyable and such a blessing to us in so many ways. One aspect is the comments and feedback we get from you all which are so powerfully encouraging and exciting, as we get to see daily, what God is doing through us in your lives. Being able to partner with God, I am still amazed He would want to use us when He is so powerful to do it all on His own, is so exhilarating and purpose-giving. Stepping Stones has also been incredibly enriching to me as it pushes me to dig into God’s word regularly and deeper to articulate His truth to someone else.

Unfortunately, like all gifts and provisions from God in this world, there is a down side. Not necessarily from God, but through Satan’s schemes and my flesh or me-centered nature, what God meant for good, gets corrupted.

You see, I want to say so much about each Transformational Thought, so it’s not just a great feel-good message, but really practically equips you to Iive the life God wants for you that very day. Being a psychiatrist, I also want to equip you with some very practical tips to actually do something that day that will improve the faulty life patterns we all fall into or improve the strategies you have in fighting against Satan’s strategies. Then I need to package this 4-5 pages of content into a couple of paragraphs, or people don’t read it when it is too long!

Well, being an engineer, I am a perfectionist, and Satan uses that character flaw to try and suck the joy and excitement out of the blessing of being used by God to impact others. I’ve already written this one a couple times, wanting to be precise, impactful, catchy, brief, and practical. Why? Unfortunately at times, it’s more about my issues, and not as much about seeking and serving God well. I really have to be intentional to not fall in that trap. It’s important to remember that we live in a fallen world; a world that is so far from normal because it is tainted by sin. So much failure and frustration result from our seeking perfection in this life.

Today, remember that your yearning for perfection is not a bad thing in and of itself. Know that God placed that yearning in our hearts, so we would search for Him and not for it being about ourselves. When you push for perfection, is it for your image and driven by the opinions of others, or is it really for God. Most of the time, God would be fine with just 80% in most areas and we spend the other 20% on Him. Remember Mary and Martha, which one are you?

Prayer
Dear Father God, I know, Father, that my heart and soul contains many ill effects of the fall. As a result of this I often try and achieve perfection apart from You. This sets me down a path of frustration, insecurity, inadequacy, and failure. I sadly admit, Father, that this wrong path also included some form of idolatry in worshipping myself, other’s opinions, or the task itself. I want to return to You Lord…to the path that leads me to You. I will do this, Lord, by seeking You first and foremost. As I seek You, Father, I know You will set my feet on the right Stepping Stone…that You will give me a firm place to stand and the guidance to take the right next step. Help my search for perfection, point me to You. I pray in Jesus’ perfect name; and all God’s people said – AMEN!

The Truth
He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.
Psalm 40:2-3

that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
Philippians 3:11-13

Now as they were traveling along, He entered a village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord’s feet, listening to His word. But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me.” But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”
Luke 10:38-42

Comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Get help now! Call (844) 543-3242