Do You Have Spiritual Schizophrenia? Double-Mindedness

Do You Have Spiritual Schizophrenia? Double-Mindedness
February 18, 2013 Lighthouse Network

Do You Have Spiritual Schizophrenia? Double-Mindedness

Transformational Thought
What’s the one major problem that gives believers in Christ the most trouble today, in the twenty-first century? I bet it is probably the same problem that dates back thousands of years: being double-minded. Double-minded can have different meanings, but in the Bible, James 1:8 tells us that a “double-minded man is unstable in all his ways.” But what does it really mean to be double-minded? I think I am double-minded when I often know what I should do, but later that day, I may find myself doing the exact opposite, making a poor decision. Does that ever happen to you? It isn’t really clinical schizophrenia, but do you suffer from what I call Spiritual Schizophrenia?

The Bible is filled with many examples of Biblical studs being double-minded: Adam and Eve eating the apple; Abraham lying about Sarah being his sister and later sleeping with Hagar; David, taking Bathsheba, then killing off Uriah; Jonah traveling in the opposite direction of Nineveh; Peter denying Christ even after being warned by Christ himself!

Do You Have Spiritual Schizophrenia? Double-Mindedness

As believers we are instructed by Paul (in Philippians) to have the mind of Christ. Our love, affection, and devotion are to be for our Lord first and foremost. Living for Him means we are Christ-centered in our beliefs, thoughts, and actions. James 1:14 warns us that we are tempted when we are drawn away by our own lust. The word lust is the strongest word we have for desire. James warns that this desire blinds us, enticing us to pursue the object of our lust. Our desire is to relieve or fill an emotional, psychological, and ultimately, a spiritual need. Our minds and hearts become divided in directions other than Christ, creating a schism or split within us. We think we are serving God, but we’re really serving ourselves.

Often, we find ourselves immersed in behaviors we know are wrong, addictions, eating disorders, bad habits, and a myriad of other dysfunctions. Some refer to this as cognitive dissonance, a disharmony within that feels like a splitting or tearing inside. We develop physical or emotional symptoms of agitation, anxiety, panic, and depression. We can become derailed in our thinking and motivation. As James reminds us, when sin is finished, it ultimately brings forth death and separation … from God, others, and ourselves. So much for the motivations of being double-minded.

You see, double-mindedness comes from the brainwashing and deception of Satan. He wants to distort your lenses. He knows perception is the most important of the 6 components of every decision you make each day. You have to be diligent in all your decisions, slowing down your mind, taking every thought captive, and maintaining your focus on reality and the truth. Then single-mindedness becomes rather simple. I am serious when I say that.

Today, submit to a checkup. Examine whether you are trying to serve 2 masters, God and yourself. Thankfully, God has provided the remedy through his Son, Jesus. You see, God has done for us what we could not do for ourselves. He saves, justifies, sanctifies, and empowers us to live for Him through His Spirit. But God won’t do for us what we can do for ourselves, namely, building our character by making our own free will choices. Choosing to live Godly lives, and have Christ’s mind and purpose is your decision, so choose well.

Do You Have Spiritual Schizophrenia? Double-Mindedness

Prayer
Father God, I know I am double-minded more than admit, if not on the outside, then often on the inside. Help develop eyes that really see the truth, so I can test, realize, and reject the counterfeits to Your love and blessings in my life. Give me peace to endure the trials and resist my double-minded generated impulses to take shortcuts and detours from the path You have designed for my ultimate fulfillment. Help us to live today for You, so we prevent the condition of being double-minded. We ask this in the strong name of Jesus. And all God’s children say – AMEN!

The Truth
“Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God.”  Psalm 42:5

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In His great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.” I Peter 1:3

Comments (13)

1. kendall 4 years ago

Thank you for this!

2. Chanel Burse 1 year ago

Reading this, lifted my spirit in a way word’s can express. I am going through 1 of many times I think the Devil may have gained a foothold and for once I’ve looked to everyone, and everything but God!!!!! We are facing losing everything!! But if it he your will Lord , then take it, stuff can be replaced. Keep my family and ty for haven this word for me because I needed it. Bless it Love rd
    Amen

3. Carla 12 months ago

This was very encouraging and it helped easy the thoughts in my mind …. Thank you for sharing this

4. Katie 11 months ago

I appreciate the encouragement but please change the title because double mindedness is nothing like schizophrenia and you’re contributing to all the misconceptions about the illness. You said yourself “It isn’t really clinical schizophrenia,” that’s just what you call it. That would be no different then if I was like “I call this issue spiritual retardedness! Though it’s not actually the clinical kind.” That’s offensive btw.

5. patricia 7 months ago

Not sure I agree this is offensive to call it spiritual schizophrenia. Here is the Oxford dictionary definition: schiz·o·phre·ni·a
    /ˌskitsəˈfrēnēə,ˌskitsəˈfrenēə/
    Learn to pronounce
    nounPSYCHIATRY
    a long-term mental disorder of a type involving a breakdown in the relation between thought, emotion, and behavior, leading to faulty perception, inappropriate actions and feelings, withdrawal from reality and personal relationships into fantasy and delusion, and a sense of mental fragmentation.
    (in general use) a mentality or approach characterized by inconsistent or contradictory elements.
    “Gibraltar’s schizophrenia continues to be fed by colonial pride”
    In other words, this is very accurate in describing what happens when we are pulled in more than one direction and our perceptual lenses become distorted.

6. Robert Curtis 7 months ago

Well, this sure as day she’d light on to who I am inside and what I have been struggling with. On a daily basis the devil rides me with things he says to me over my addiction and other actions that I would say are rather unsavory in God’s eyes. One bad habit leads to many others and i they all become demons that on some days I wrestle with and on other days we just sit and cuddle.

7. Ford 6 months ago

Spiritual Schizophrenia, yes I relate here. T/Y for posting.

8. Quida 6 months ago

@Katie
    The body and the spirit are two different things though one directly affects the other. The law of the flesh cannot be subjected to the law of the spirit. Read Romans 8. I believe that the doctor was talking spiritually. So they can’t be compared

9. Tamera 5 months ago

I’m literally living this my father was schizophrenic & Im serving myself I’m the other god it makes so much sense I never made that connection wow . I have this issue please pray for me now I can move differently Thankyou I will be obedient & wise

10. Shell 3 months ago

I was reading psalm 119:113..ESV..
    “I hate the double minded”…
    So googled the meaning, this site came up…REALLY spoke to me!
    Thank you so much for this explanation

11. Dee 2 months ago

Thank you for this word; some have allowed the enemy of double mindedness to interfere with understanding and want their own intellect to cloud their minds. Nevertheless Lord, not our will, but your will be done. I surrender double mindedness/spiritual schizophrenia like thinking, which leads us away from your will Lord. I want only to serve you Lord and not self gratifications. Help us Holy Spirt, in Jesus name!

12. Frank 1 month ago

I’m so glad God led me to click on your link! I need help jn this area of my life. I can’t slow down my mind when it comes to responding to others, or in situations. I just act, or say whatever pops in my head. I often can’t make a decision when faced with opposing possibilities. I can’t focus most of the time, have to read, then reread because my mind wandered 😢 I need serious help with this. Thank you for this information, i will save this link and pray God helps me

13. Lighthouse Network 1 month ago

Thank you Frank for your comment.
    If you need “serious help” with your current situation I would encourage you to call our helpline to help figure out the best residential treatment options for you.
    Call (844) 543-3242